Monday, June 27, 2011

Taking up Running!

In January my mother told me about The Daniel Plan which was organized by Saddleback Church.  It was a year long program to get people eating better and overhaul their life so to speak.  My husband and I decided we would join in along with my mother.  There were small group meet ups once a week for 6 weeks and then the rest of the year there would be advice and so forth on the internet.  Well we started off really well and as time went by I stopped focusing on it.  My husband has lost about 30 pounds from the changes he has made in his diet, but I haven’t been so lucky.  I keep allowing myself to make poor food choices.  I have gotten a lot better than I was, but not fully committing myself to it.  About a month ago I got motivated and decided I was going to try running. My husband had taken it up and has a goal to run a 5k.  I would love to be able to share this with my husband, but I am extremely out of shape and running a 5k is a lofty goal at this point.  I was looking at apps for my IPOD and I came across the C25K app.  It is a running app that is supposed to get you from couch to doing a 5k in 12 weeks running 3 days per week.  Well I did the first week of the program for about 3 weeks.  The first week you have a 5 min. warm up and then alternate 1 minute jogs with 90 second walks for 20 minutes, then a 5 min cool down.  I have to say that I’m so out of shape that running for a full minute was hard.  Well today I decided that I would try to do the next week.  It is 5 min warm up and then alternating 90 second jogs with 2 min. walks then a 5 min. cool down.  I didn’t think I was going to make it the full 90 seconds, but you know what…I did!  It was hard, but I didn’t give up.  I must say that this circuit goes by much faster than the first.  Although you are running a longer amount of time, you have fewer intervals of each.  I will probably be on the second week for a couple weeks, but it’s okay. I’m not expecting myself to run a 5k in 12 weeks.  I have a long way to go, but at least I’m trying.  Now I really need to work on making better food choices.  Activity and food go hand in hand in the battle to lose weight.  Today is the day, not tomorrow or the next or on July 1st.  TODAY! 

No comments:

Post a Comment