Tuesday, February 7, 2012

SCC wk 5 update and 1/2 marathon recap

I will start with SCC update post.  I managed to lose the little bit I had gained last week.  I am back down to 218.4.  That is definitely not where I would have liked to have been in 5 weeks.  I have let life get in the way and not worked out as much as I wanted to this week.  I did get in a run/walk on Saturday morning and again this morning.  I didn’t fit in any other workouts beside my run/walks this week and a couple of walks on my lunch break.  I really would like to do better this week.  My goals for this week are to:

Get in 3-4 more workouts this week.
Make healthier choices (I had salmon and broccoli for dinner last night, yeah me)
Eat smaller portions.

Now on to the weekend:
My husband’s first ½ marathon was this past Sunday in lovely Huntington Beach and it couldn’t have been a nicer day for it.  Blue skies and mild temperatures made it a great day.  

We stayed the night in Costa Mesa which was only a 10 minute drive to the beach for parking.  We got on a shuttle bus to the start of the festivities and then hung out in the expo tent until it was time to start the race.  We had over an hour to wait.  Here is a picture of my husband doing some warm up exercises.

The next picture is a picture of the crowd waiting to start the race. My husband is right next to the guy with his arms raised in the air wearing a black shirt and sun glasses.

 There were 17,000 people doing the ½ marathon and they started in waves of people every few minutes.  There were 15 waves of people and it took about 45 minutes from the time the first ones started running until the last group started running.  The waves were started based on your estimated finish time.  It would have been cool to see the people lined up from the top of the nearby hotel.  Just imagine 17,000 people plus family and friends everywhere. My husband was in the 1:58 hour start time.  He finished the race in 1:55:15.  I even managed to get a little video of him crossing the finish line.  Here he is after he got his finishers medal.

There was a band playing and a beer garden at the finish line area.  There were also other bands throughout the course.  I didn't get to see them though since I was stationed at the finish line to wait for my husband. We didn't listen to the band or partake in the beer garden.  It is actually kind of weird that there was a beer garden when racers shouldn't really be drinking beer to rehydrate themselves. But, some people have signs that say will run for beer.

After the race we waited in line for my husband to get a free massage.  It took about an hour and 45 minutes to make it to the front of the line, but he did get a 25 minute massage.  I am surprised there wasn’t a strict 10 minute time limit per person.  I am sure my husband thought it was worth the wait though.  He is doing his next ½ marathon in May.  Maybe one day I will do a half marathon, but it certainly won't be with a time like he did. haha


  1. SO COOL !! I hope to do a 1/2 marathon one day. I am glad you lose the pounds you gained. You can do this... Here's to getting the most out of life...

  2. Congratulations! Your husband finished with an amazing time. I am so happy that you lost the weight you gained. Have a great week!